It can seem a little daunting to begin cosplaying, but with the proper planning, it’s easier to see how the costume will come together. We added budgeting your costume to this, since they do go hand in hand.
Working out your costume
- Gather reference images and determine what pieces you will need. Even a simpler costume can have lots of pieces! Write down everything you will need.
- On your list, indicate: make, buy, or modify. You might be able to use things you already have at home, or you may need to buy or make things yourself.
- Research, research, research! This is where you will decide specifics. What material is best for your budget? Can you commission a tricky piece? How long will this method take versus that method? This is where you’ll scout for items you’ll need to purchase online, like wigs, contact lenses, and specific clothing pieces. You don’t need to buy anything yet! This will just help you figure out exactly how much work you have ahead of you.
- Based on this information, decide what takes priority. Items that take longer to make or that ship from overseas usually take priority – that ensures that you get these pieces before the deadline, if you have one. You might knock out all the easier stuff first, or go by how expensive things will be. It’s all up to you!
- Take action! You’re done with planning – now it’s time to get to work!
Do you have more tips to plan out your cosplay costume? Let us know in the comments below!